A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A love like this...

They say that you can't choose your family. And they are right. You can't. But as far as families go, I was fortunate to be born into mine. I have three sisters and a brother, and two parents who are still married to each other, and if they don't seem to always like each other, it is obvious that they love each other.

When I got married, one of the biggest requirements on my list was that I liked my husband's parents, and he liked mine. Never did I realize that not only would we like each other's parents, we would love them; and not only love the parents, but siblings too. When I first moved over here, I knew I had Dave's heart, but I was on very shaky ground with Wendy, my mother-in-law to be, as she had a number of issues over Andy's former wife, and felt devoted to her. Through no fault of Wendy though, that relationship broke down. As time went on this enabled Wendy to spend time with me and come to the conclusion that it was ok to like me. Over the past five years, we have grown to love each other and I can't imagine living over here without the love and support I receive from my in-laws. It means the world to Andy, as he has never experienced the love of parents-in-law, espeically a mother-in-law, and no one loves better than my mom Gina. I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone to dispute this.

Now what is completely causing me no end of pride, is that earlier this month, Wendy and Dave took a trip to Canada. They began in NF, were not only did they spend time with their friends, they met up with my Aunt Nita and cousin Heather (whom they met this summer for the 2nd time during her visit here) for lunch.

They then moved on to NS where they stopped with my parents for four days. Most people are in awe that my parents were having Andy's parents to stay, and vice-versa. And whilst in NS not only did they see my parents and siblings, but my three Aunts and Uncles all came out to spend time with them on numerous occasions. I'm not done yet... Dawn and her mom Sheila also picked D&W up and took them to a fine lunch, followed by some shopping.

At the moment D&W are in Toronto, where they are spending lots of time on their own, but again, took the time to call not only my sister Tawny, but my mate Carol Anne, who has just moved back to Toronto. My sister drove them downtown and met up with them after work to have dinner, and CA spent yesterday with them, and has promised loads of pictures.

I'm trying not to get soppy over it all, but at this moment in time I am thanking God for the blessings he has brought to my life, for the family I have, both mine and Andy's and for the beautiful friends that have crossed my path.

Nothing on earth can take that away from any of us... the boys have embraced the way my family is, both in NS when we were there in 2006, and here, when we have company. They are already so looking forward to getting back out there to the loving arms of my loved ones, not to mention the great weather, beaches and Gina's cookies and pancakes...

No comments: