A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, September 15, 2005

3 Point Turns
Before I had started taking 'driving lessons' here in Britain, I do not believe I had ever heard the term '3 Point Turn', and if so it obviously eluded my memory at some point in time. Either way Tuesday after my lesson I was in a sweat and very agitated after numerous attempts to successful maneuver a 3 point turn, as well as reverse parallel park. The RIGHT way. Or the British way. Either way, not the way I have been doing it for the last fifteen years. Normally this stuff comes quite easily to me and it annoys me that I have to break the habits I have acquired in order to pass a driving test. Especially when I have a full UK license in my hand. All this to prove I can drive a standard. I suppose I shall just keep at it, 3 more lessons before the final exam. We shall see how it goes. I'm just not sure what will happen if I don't pass this test as I have an actual license in my hand that would allow me to drive the roads of Britain provided I'm in an automatic.

Determined or Stupid...
I decided to take my bike to work today, despite the light drizzle occurring. It would have been the smarter choice to take the bus, however I've been trying to get into better shape and figured I'd be alright, especially as I would pack a change of clothes. As would happen, it started to chuck it down less than halfway to work. I stuck my head down and just got on with it. At the moment my running jacket and pants are hanging on the coat rack drying out with the assistance of the fan. I won't be too bothered if it's still raining when it's time to go, so long as the clothes are dry when I put them on.

But then: As I was getting out of my wet clothes it hit me that I had forgotten to grab a clean bra out of the laundry basket. Although my sports bra wasn't too wet, it wasn't pleasant to have to put a clean top on over it, nevermind the fact I only brought a small sleeveless shirt with me and have to wear certain bra's under it as it is - not a wide strapped sport bra! However with my damp, frizzy hair being long, its not as bad as it could have been as it covers the the little bit of bright blue strap showing through.

My Professional Voice
I have always been told that I have a good voice over the phone. Andy sometimes doesn't recognize me on the odd occasion when he has to call me at work. I had a teacher in High School who once told me after an 'interview style' report we had to complete, that I should be a reporter as my voice sounds really professional on tape. I laughed it off. Doesn't everyone just abhor the sound of their recorded voice? When I first started working at the School Board way back when, I can remember a senior director of one of the branches telling me he had to come see me in person and find out if I looked as good as I sounded. Well ok... Either way, its something I've heard my whole life. Thus bringing me to my point. Now it's not just the tone of my voice. I just had a phone call from one of my colleagues who works in another building. It went something like this:

Me: 'Good Afternoon Grimsby -- --'

(Who I thought was J, but couldn't be sure): 'Oh Hi Jody, I didn't expect you to answer'

Me: 'No? Who were you looking for?'

J: 'Well I wanted the machine to pick up.'

Me: 'Oh you want to leave a message for the Health Visitors?

J: 'No, I wanted your voice mail, I didn't want to actually speak with you' giggles

Me: 'Sure - Ok - I'll hang up then' slightly puzzled

J: 'OK, and don't answer when I call back'

Me: 'OK'

Now the first thing I did after the phone rang and it went to voicemail was pick up the phone and listen to my messages. The only thing I heard was a small giggle and the words 'isn't it ace?'

So a few minutes later when J called back to speak to one of the Health Visitors I asked if that was her that had called earlier. After a moment of banter, she laughed and said it was. I laughed and asked her if they were making fun of the way I talk and she laughed back and replied 'NO, I love your voice and L never heard your voice mail, so we phoned so she could hear it and she thinks its lovely too!' Sadly, this is not the first time someone has told me they love it when the voicemail picks up as it's my recorded voice they hear. And to think I almost got my colleague to record the message, thus denying all these funny gals the opportunity to hear this beaver's silly accent.

No comments: