A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

I've been waiting years for a summer like this

When I look back over the past month, it's hard to believe that we are actually experiencing a hot, sunny (for the most part) summer in the north eastern region England.  At the end of every long and dismal winter (picture lots of grey skies and cold dampness if you will, not bright sunny skies and snow covered hills) I greet spring with a huge sigh of relief and start dreaming about long summer days. I don't exactly anticipate hot, sunny days, but longer days, full of light and perhaps a bit of warmth;  I've lived here too long to allow my hopes to get too high.  Except this year, for the first time in at least 3 or 4 years, we are finally getting what one would term a 'proper summer'.  A lot of days have even been humid, but I'm not complaining.  I can point to a lot of folks who are, but I'm not one of them. 

I've been taking advantage of the glorious weather and trying to get out and about as much as possible. 

Up until a week ago when Bonnie started her much deserved annual leave, I'd also been spending a ton of time with our little man;  I love how they only live round the corner from us and I get to see him often.  Not so much though over the past week or so because he and his Mama have been very busy doing lots of fun activities while she is on a break from work (this young woman is such a brilliant young Mama). I'm looking forward to seeing him this week sometime though. 

We had a lot of fun making Grandy an Oreo Cheesecake for his birthday; this picture is priceless.

 We've been fortunate to spend a fair bit of time with family this summer, and I love seeing all the little ones playing together.

This is Grandma with Daisy & Chloe at a 70th Birthday Party for Andy's Aunty Mavis.  The kids were so well behaved all throughout the meal. Even our little monkey Jayden.

Afterwards the kids were rewarded with fun & games at Aunty Zoe's and Uncle Adrian's.


I remember when our boys used to love the trampoline.
Jayden and Daisy certainly enjoyed cousin Archie's.  


Jayden was very curious about Archie's chickens (I think this one is called Nugget)


 We've also been able to squeeze in a few get together's with our framily (meaning Rob & Dawn - our dear friends who have become extended family, just in case you couldn't suss that ): 


The weekend before last the four of us and the dogs got away for a short break to one of our favourite walking destinations which includes a stay in lovely accommodation with a restaurant/pub that serves amazing food and great drinks.



  Cheers! 


You wouldn't know it but we all loved discovering that the bar now has a little basket of reading glasses for anyone who may have forgotten their own and might need help seeing the menu... ergo my husband :) It's kind of sad the hilarity that trying on these glasses provided, understandable though when one considers we had more than a few drinks prior to that last photo. 

Good times, I tell you.

I will be spending some more time with my nieces and nephew on Thursday at an Adventureland Park and have the added bonus of travelling back to Nottingham on Saturday with our two big boys, Alex and Connor, to spend the day with the girls and their Mum while the menfolk get on with a few jobs.  Andy will stay at home to oversee the carpet layers who are coming to install our much needed new carpets. 

Next week begins our holiday to the Isle of Skye with Clan Gallivan.

So needless to say that so far, we are having a brilliant summer.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

What wonderful family times! Wait, a bar with a basket of reading glasses? I absolutely love it!