A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Champagne Confessions

I spent all of Sunday looking pretty much like this and feeling ten times worse.

(Brooke Shields plays Rita Glossner on one my favourite sitcoms, The Middle)

My friend Sarah and I had such high expectations for our day out on Saturday for a belated 40th celebration;  She had a pocketful of money that she was excited to spend on me.   It was an insane amount of money and I didn't feel completely at ease about how much she was willing to spend but she was adamant it was for our enjoyment; I felt very spoiled and very indulged. We started off at the salon where I had my nails done, followed by a relaxing back massage.

What was then supposed to be just some leisurely shopping followed by champagne and cake turned into a champagne crisis. Instead of picking up two slightly tipsy women, my husband ended up collecting one tipsy woman, Nicky, who had come to join us right about the time we should have called it a day, and two women who had metamorphosed into a hot mess. 

My husband doesn't mind lots of friendly kisses from my friends, or even letting them cuddle him on the odd occasion when there has been a bit of alcoholic indulgence (what man wouldn't enjoy the attention).  He's even aware that we sometimes give each other a fond kiss or two and doesn't seem to mind that either.  However being vomited on by my girlfriend isn't his idea of a brilliant Saturday night.  Perhaps this would be expected of one's teenage offspring, but not by a grown woman. So big oops there.  

I was ungracefully in bed by 8:30 pm;  Waking up feeling like I'd been run over by a truck and very unclear  about the past evening's activities is something I had meant to leave behind me in my obnoxious 20's.  For the most part I have laid that idiot to rest and have turned into a mostly respectable married wife and step-mom who enjoys taking care of herself and her family.  As I said in my previous post, I like to eat and I like to drink, but not to the point of over-indulged inebriation.  Most of you know how much I love to have a good laugh and this is something that I often do, without the help of alcohol and this is the way I intend to roll now that I'm a middle aged granny.  Sure I can indulge a little now and then, but not to the point where I'm swimming in a vat of wine with no idea of how to get back to the surface. 

You will be pleased to know that I'm now back to my regularly scheduled self; eating well and exercising while I think up great ways to thank my husband for being such a trooper last weekend. I will spare you most of the ideas I've come up with , however he has requested that I get cracking and put my new ice-cream maker to work. (Something that will probably turn into a post of its own, considering I've never made ice-cream before.)

I thought I'd share this shameful story with you because I wanted you to know that even I can screw up sometimes.  (Something I did frequently in my early years, but not so much now that I'm a respectable lady woman of a certain age ;) 

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

I love watching The Middle--and I love reading your honest, funny posts!