A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, January 26, 2008

How quickly they grow

When I first met Andy's children, there was a certain level of cautious trepidation on all of our parts. The older two were of course more hesitant than Connor, who seemed happy to accept me right from the get go. It didn't take long for Alex to follow suit, and I'm happy to say that Tasha and I have now seemed to reach a really great place in our relationship. She now turns to me when she needs help with certain things, i.e. a trip to the doctor or help with her CV. Its a good feeling. I knew that it would probably come with time, and time has done its thing.

Time has also brought with it a change that took me by surprise momentarily, but in hindsight I just see it for what it is: someone is growing up.

Not long after I moved here, Connor in his 7 year old innocence asked if he could call me mom. Because he has a mom, who often experiences great moments of insecurity, I didn't think this would be the best idea. Connor although he agreed, felt that my role warranted a special name and set about thinking of one. As it was Christmas when I first moved here a small tree was up in the apartment and on it were a few decorations I'd brought from home. One of them was a small little Angel with the name 'jojo' written on it.

Connor asked who Jojo was. I told him it was me. He asked where the name originated from and I explained to him that my Godson, Gavin (who was of similar age to Connor) has called me that from being a baby, since he couldn't pronounce Jody. Connor looked contemplative about this for a moment, trying to make up his mind if he was bothered that another boy held my heart as well. Then he remarked... Jojo is a good name. Can I call you that too? And of course I relented, why wouldn't I. And so I became Jojo not only to Gavin and his sister, as well as some of my family back home who'd begun using it as well, but to Connor. The other kids and Andy quickly adopted the more common nickname of Jods, something Dawn started and it has stuck. At work that is all I am ever referred to. Jody is almost non-existent.

But here I am digressing as usual.

On Wednesday of last week, Connor came into the room to ask me a question and began with Jods... I noticed, but didn't make anything of it. The next morning, he again referred to me by Jods. And just now, when he was kicking my ass at guitar hero, he called me it again. I think its time to acknowledge that he has let go of Jojo in favour of the more adult Jods.

I'm satisfied with that, although a little saddened. But they can't stay little forever, as much as we'd sometimes like them to. I reckon Gavin won't be far behind :)

No comments: