A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Never too stingy to share...

As most of you know, I have three sisters and one brother. We were considered rather a large family whilst I was growing up and still would be considered a large family by some. But more importantly, I like to think we are a close family. A tad bit dysfunctional maybe, but hey, show me a family that isn't?

Growing up my sisters and I got on well enough together and often chose to do things together without being forced to by our parents. Naturally, we had the usual fights over touching stuff that might not belong to us, such as clothes or make up, but most often we were happy to share, something that has luckily followed us into adulthood.

The McDonald Sister Clothes Swap is quite an event to behold (or so I have been told)and its bad enough when two of us are partaking in this event, but when a third gets thrown into the mix, it can be very difficult to follow. Our friend Dawn used to shake her head at us, but now that she participates in this event, she has become even more ensconced into the Family McDonald, bringing me to this point:

Not only do us sisters share clothes, make up, books, etc. we quite happily share our friends.

For years Dawn was mainly Tawny's friend, one of her best, and quickly become a much seen presence in our house. By the time we had reached our early twenties, she had became not only a solid friend to Tawny, but was quickly becoming a good mate to myself, especially after Tawn departed to another region of the country. Dawn at one point even dabbled in a friendship with Sandra (the one of us that tends to march to her own drummer :) But Dawn had something in her that can seemingly relate to all of us McDonald girls. While Dawn and Stacy were both here in 2006 I kept saying that they should start hanging out more back home, as they always seemed to get on so well when we were all together, and so they did. Now they continuously get together for movie dates, shopping and a bit of dining thrown in ;) It makes my heart sing to know they are together, looking out for one another. It is sometimes hard to be missing out, but it makes the times when we all get together even better. I can only thank Tawny for being so open-hearted and unselfish for sharing Dawn with us so willingly.

And in return, I would like to think I've been the same way throughout my life. I have always been happy to introduce my old friends to new friends, as well as to my family. If everyone hits it off, even better.

I met one of the best women I have had the pleasure of knowing shortly after moving to England. We had five years to grow close and she became indispensable to me during this time. Last year, she left to move back to Ontario and in some ways, a very large part of me went with her. I miss her often and sometimes still can't believe she is gone. While she was living here she was able to meet Stacy and Dawn, and they too came to love her. Since moving back home, CA has been able to connect with Tawny and they have since developed a close relationship. This I am happy about because I know my friend could use the loyalty and support that is so readily given by my sister, and as well, because my sister will only benefit from this girl with the big heart who isn't afraid to say what she feels.

So again, here we are - us sisters sharing in the love of beautiful friendships. Friendships that I know will survive the years and miles spent apart because they already do. Here we still are, after all of this time, laughing and crying and being there for each other.



Carol Anne, Dawn and Me at the Canada Day BBQ we had the summer of 2007:

No comments: