A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Big Balls or Small Balls?

As I'm heading home in a few days, we figured it would be nice to have a family night out last evening. The boys opted for bowling over a movie, which suited me fine because it involves a measure of activity and also I will probably be seeing  a few movies when I reconnect with my sister.

So last night the four of us headed out to play some very competitive bowling. I was rather pleased that Alex decided to join us;  I wasn't to sure he would as he isn't as prone to hanging out with us these days now that he's 17  but as I've said before, Al isn't like most 17 year olds, he has a confidence and maturity about him that many lads lack. 

Anyway, back to bowling. At first, we thought it was going to come down to just Andy and Alex competing as Connor doesn't quite have the hang of bowling and can't decide which size suits him best, and I never know how my luck will be because that is exactly what it is when it comes to me and bowling - pure luck.

At one point during the first game, when Alex and Andy were neck-n-neck Andy exclaimed 'He's going to beat me with my own ball!' (Yes, Andy has his own ball, made specially for him). Yet, it was not to be. 
And I did something that had me laughing all the way home - beat Alex;  not at not one, but both games.  I don't know who was more surprised, him or me.  He wasn't pleased about this at all, especially when his aim had been to beat his father, who just happens to be a damn good bowler (high score of 175 last night).  He never thought for one moment this old girl was in with a chance. 

How wrong he was :)

Connor did surprisingly well and at one point it looked like he might even beat his brother, since Alex was all wound up about his dad striking out three times in a row and was blowing it big style. When Alex got back into his stride, Connor lost his confidence and spent a lot of time alternately polishing his ball and breaking out in a sweat.  We told Con not to let it bother him, that he will get better in time,  however he just shrugged and commented that Canadian bowling was better (we have small balls back home, easier for Connor to handle - but I personally like the Fred Flintstone balls we use here, we will sort him out one of these days).

Here are a few photos from our night out:


Connor before he was too flustered...

Andy trying not to look too smug, and me just hoping to get lucky for once (which I did)


Alex getting ready to roll...


Look... he still can't strike like his old man!  (well not yet anyway! Give him time.)


I think I will just polish my ball, it might help.

All in all, it was a great night full of laughs and we will be doing it again more often.

No comments: