A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, June 09, 2012

It's not really necessary

Our Connor has hit a couple of milestones recently; yesterday he finished his last official day at upper school (education is very different in the UK).  He has three more exams to go back for at the end of the month and then that's it, he's off to college in the fall to study graphic design. 

Yesterday, he turned 16.  Yup...that's it, our youngest is growing into a man.  I don't know if I'm ready for this.  I hope he stays the easy-going and humorous boy he has always been.  Our only hope is that he dreams big and fulfills every one.

To celebrate his school leaving and upcoming birthday, I decided to make a batch of these:

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
(a favourite of the kids)

Connor, who has always been keen to assist me when I'm baking (I had kind of hoped he would decide on a culinary style training course there for awhile - I mean he is the right age for the next up and coming Jamie Oliver - but that's only my daydream).

So, back to the baking: we were getting on with the measuring and mixing.  I put our stick of butter in the microwave to melt and as I was crossing the room to get something out of the fridge I heard an odd, crackling noise.  Connor stopped the mixer when I suddenly turned to look at the microwave and let out a yelp.  The inside of the nuke was on fire... I quickly turned it off to the sound of Connor laughing.  He said he couldn't help it as the noise I'd made sounded like a wounded animal. (I personally thought it was more like the cry of a warrior princess).

Either way our microwave with the deluxe grill option (that was only used once - the grill, not the microwave itself) is now out of commission. Andy and I both like the way the counter looks without it.  The last time I had a good clean up I tried to rearrange the kitchen so I could have the use of that corner, but the cumbersome microwave never worked anywhere else;  We've agreed for the time or being to not replace it.  So far I'm not missing it other than the fact that it doubled nicely as a bread bin.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

As a teacher here in the US, I'm fascinated by education in the UK. Even after watching BBC America, I still don't understand the system! But it sounds like Connor is up for some exciting changes! Those cupcakes look delicious--sorry the microwave sacrificed its life for them!