A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Not missing you as much as I thought I would.

A few weeks back I posted about how I was a wee bit disappointed for not quite sticking to the goals I'd set out for myself in the month of May. However I managed to turn things around by the last two weeks of the month. I didn't follow the Accountability Calendar to the day, however I did set a few goals of my own to aim for:

Run the whole 5K for the Race for Life
Cut down on carbs 
Shred at least three times a week
Lose 5-6 lbs
Post here at least 7-10 times

I'm patting myself on the back because I can gleefully report that I have done all the above.  I will admit that I was late in starting the shred as I only got back into over the last week or so, however I'm now back into it and have also increased my level of outside activity.

I haven't had a bag of crisps(chips) or even a cookie since the 14th of May and instead I'm enjoying  plenty of fresh fruit, low fat Greek yogurt and other healthy snacks.


(Part of my packed lunch today :)

Oh, and I do still eat pasta about once a week, but that's OK - what I'm doing is working for me.

Because I'm not drinking any wine and tons of  water, I do treat myself to a diet coke a few times a week.  I'm not going to deny myself everything I enjoy and have decided that eventually I will allow myself the bonus of a sinful dessert or glass or two of wine, but not quite yet.

I'm not ready to break my stride and fall off this healthy wagon I've been managing to practically drive, never mind just hang on to.  I'm surprising myself with how dedicated I have been and I don't want to risk not being able to climb back on board if I do step off, however temporarily.  I'm giving myself at least another week or two before I treat myself.  Besides I'm not particularly missing anything at this point so why eat  or drink something I'm not craving?

Crisps and Wine, what I'm trying to say is that I'm really not missing you.  Well not most of the time.  Sometimes on a Friday or Saturday night I remember you fondly and look forward to our next hook-up.

Anyway, back to my regularly scheduled post:

I've also been trying out different versions of home-made hummus.  Making good  hummus is fairly easy when tahini is the key and oh so delicious ingredient; however it's high in fat and be it a 'good' fat or not, I can't afford the extra calories so hence my quest to find a lightened up version. Which I managed to achieve last evening:


I roasted some red pepper and garlic then blitzed it up with a can of chick-peas, freshly squeezed lemon juice, low fat fromage frais (you could use low-fat, plain Greek yogurt instead), garlic salt and some Cajun spice.  Go on, try it out and let me know what you think.

It's not quite the same texture and definitely doesn't taste the same as regular hummus, but damn it's tasty just the same.  Fresh and perfect for dipping veggies in or using as a sandwich spread.  

No comments: