A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, March 17, 2005

It IS a Diet Coke Thing...

On Monday morning at work while I was enjoying my first diet coke of the day one of my colleagues from another department stopped in to say hello. To my amazement, she was drinking a tin of diet coke. I was a bit envious to see she was drinking the real thing, while I myself was drinking the caffeine-free version (I recently discovered caffeine can cause cellulitis !), but I digress... the point is, I've finally found someone with as strong an addiction to this fizzy and refreshing, but gut-destroying drink! After a lengthy conversation about the merits of can versus bottle, (of course we both agreed cans are the best as they pop the most fizz), I was much relieved to realize that my addiction isn't quite as strong as hers. As most of you know, the only drinks I consume are water and diet coke. Occasionally I will have a glass of skim milk, but for the most part I don't stray to liquids such as juices or other flavored drinks as they take up too many points on the WW chart. I try to keep my maximum intake of DC to three tins a day, and sometimes (but rarely) can manage to only have one. On stressful days I can consume up to 4 or five, but this is rare. This colleague of mine drinks about five or six tins a day and nothing else. I thought going thru a case a week was bad, nevermind a case every two days. Either way, I'm sure both of us will meet up in hospital in 10/20 years with severe stomach problems, but then again, maybe not. At the moment neither one of us experiences stomach pain or have dark, stained teeth. Our addiction is hurting nobody but ourvelves and until the day I'm told by a GP to stop consuming DC, I will happily continue to enjoy it.

It's Catching

I have taken to playing my cd 'Memories of the Maritimes' one that I burned myself just before leaving home last year. On it are tracks from Jimmy Rankin, Stan Rogers, Great Big Sea, The Fables, + many more. Songs such as Heave Away, The Jolly Butcher, etc. What's funny is that I played this CD once before and both Andy and the kids weren't too crazy about it (although Andy liked Jimmy Rankin ever since the night we saw him in concert at Apple Blossom). However things have changed over time and they have grown to actually like most of the tunes. Alex now is going so far as to request Followed Her Around and The Orange & The Green. Its a nice feeling to hear him singing along to these songs when we are in the car. My mother would be pleased to know that my old newfie/nova scotia roots are beginning to rub off on the boys and that's not too bad is it? A little bit of Canadian maritime culture never hurt anyone!

It is coming on to that time of year though when I begin to miss home the most. Apple Blossom time is drawing near, and of course shortly after that comes Stan Rogers Festival. Then of course I know that come July/August its going to be the hottest time of the year and I will be missing out on the beautiful sunny days out at Queensland or up at the lake. However if I was at home I would be missing out on a family wedding held at a Scottish Castle in August where we will get to spend the night (or two if we choose). I can't say I've ever spent the night, nor had the opportunity to, in a centuries old castle in Nova Scotia. So I have to look at it this way: At least I've been given the opportunity to have the best of both worlds.

Cowardly Behaviour (Edited As What I Meant to Say Originally Came out WrOnG

I find it funny that someone chose to make an unpleasant comment on my last post... I wasn't going to respond, as it hardly warrants a response, however I did feel compelled to say this: Most people who have something unpleasant to say usually choose to omit who they are, so naturally aren't worth getting worked up over as they are probably nobody of significance in my life and/or are just out to get a rise out of me. Perhaps it might seem as this has worked due to my mentioning it on this post, but really and truly, what unpleasant anonymous lurkers have to say is of little relevance, especially if they are just meant to be disruptive. But alas, this is an online journal and I must be open to any kinds of comments at any time. Personally, I find it very rewarding when someone has chosen to comment on my words, be they known or not.

Its Not A Tradition Most Englishfolk Seem To Celebrate...




Although I've not seen anyone happily walking around dressed in green giving out greetings such as 'top o' the mornin to ya', I myself will be fondly remembering those at home who throw themselves into the spirt of St. Paddy's Day. I may just raise a pint myself tonite to toast all the party-goers back home who will be drinking green beer in the local pubs (and of course those in Ireland too)!

No comments: