A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, October 17, 2011

Whirlwind Weekend

This weekend passed in a blur due to a variety of factors:

Meal planning and cooking for an extra three adults – two of whom don’t eat meat. This is usually not an issue as I enjoy the opportunity to cook fish as Andy isn’t a big fan. However I can only expect him to eat fish one out of the two evenings so Saturday found me making a fish curry as well as a chicken korma. (Unfortunately Andy’s was from a jar as I didn’t have the ambition to cook more than one meal from scratch). He seemed to enjoy it all the same so I think I’m forgiven. Usually I get round this by cooking a vegetarian chilli or lasagne, which Andy doesn’t mind but I chose instead to make a curry so two separate meals it was. I wouldn’t want to do it every day as making sure the utensils from the meat dish stays far away from the fish dish, etc. is a feat in itself and the amount of washing up is doubled. Thank goodness for a dishwasher.

I opted to get up with Daisy on Saturday morning so her parents could lay-in; this kid gets up between 5:30 and 6:00 am, a fact that leaves one fairly tired by lunch time. However I think I did alright and enjoyed my 1-1 time with the little munchkin. The only problem was that because I was on baby watch and had the monitor in our room, Andy didn’t get much sleep either because Daisy Doo is a noisy baby. No one got much sleep either on Saturday night as Daisy wasn’t happy and because she is a loud baby, in both laughter and tears, the whole house was well aware that she wasn’t sleeping well. Sunday morning found one groggy bunch of adults in the house, especially her mama who was up with her nearly every hour.

I had a touch of sore throat, and added to the tiredness and very achy body I had due to my monthly visitor (some months really hit me harder than others and my legs ache something fierce – do any of you experience this?), I spent most of yesterday sleeping. Not my favourite way to spend a Sunday but sometimes it just needs to be done. Especially when the house seems extra quiet after the departure of visitors.

It was a great weekend all the same and the baby is really a joy to have around. She has one of the best smiles ever. However when I’m with Daisy I sometimes can’t help but think of my other niece who is so far away and the sad fact that I won’t be seeing her anytime soon. It was this time last year that Andy and I spent a few weeks with Clara when she was the same age as Daisy is now and although the difference in both girls at the same age is obvious, i.e. size/personality, at the same time there are such clear similarities… both have sweet dispositions and are ready with an adorable grin the very moment you look at them.

I’m disappointed that I didn’t get to the gym or for a run as planned but I’m not being too hard on myself because this is a new week and I can start fresh.

For lunch I’m going to enjoy a bowl of the delicious ‘holiday soup for the soul’ I made (the recipe can be found here) and read one of my favourite blogs, the Curvy Girl Guide. It’s not just for curvy women, trust me. The articles and recipes are designed for everyone.

Hope you all had a great weekend and that your Monday isn’t too dreadful.

No comments: