A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's certainly cheaper to be a wino in England

As mentioned in my previous post, I've been doing a bit of Christmas shopping on-line, in particular Amazon.  My nephew's present arrived today with a £40 voucher for Virgin Wines.  The last time I'd received the voucher I just binned it as I didn't think it was worth it.  Two things have changed since the last time I was sent a voucher 1)  The price of wine at our local supermarket has increased significantly and 2) I drink a lot more wine.  

So I decided to investigate the sales pitch and this time I was roped in.  My biggest decision was deciding between a split case of red/white or twelve bottles of just white.  Because we are predominately white wine guzzlers (I will never forget our Paris trip last year for many reasons but mainly because Andy decided he could become a reluctant fan of wine after a bad batch of beer; strictly of the white variety of course) and most of the red's were Spanish Shiraz, a case of just white won out.  The price (including delivery) works out to just under £4 a bottle.  If that's wrong I don't want to be right. 


Because we have a few red wine drinkers in our circle of friends (and as I can be partial to a glass or two myself) I will ensure I have a fair stock of the dark stuff too.  I have a place where I can access gorgeous reds for approximately £3.75 each; Wine snobs don't shake your head at me, these red's are genuinely gorgeous and were recommended by more than one accomplished  freak connoisseur . 

Either way, when it comes to wine I know what I enjoy and I'm not partial to lessons in wine drinking; If I like it, I drink it.  Kristie over at the Curvy Girl Guide summed it up perfectly here

Our shelves will be well stocked for the upcoming holiday season provided I don't take too many hot baths with a good book before then. 

No comments: