A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, April 15, 2004

Unconventional Bride-to-be




Andy and I were discussing the weekend the other night over dinner. My mother had been to Toronto to visit Tawny/Sandra and to attend Tawny's Bridal shower. It all went beautifully and I'm happy to say that she was pleased with the whole outcome. Andy sighed after I finished telling him about it and said 'It's sad that you aren't home with all your friends and family, and as a result will likely miss out on a Shower of your own". I laughed and replied that having a bridal shower thrown for me is NOT on my wish list and I'm more looking forward to a night out with my girlfriends. Showers have never been my thing, and as much as I like getting gifts, I would be happier to not have a shower. This combined with the fact that I will be having a very low-key wedding and all that entails brought Andy to the conclusion that I am very 'unorthodox' - his words. Be that as it may, I'm not willing to bend to conventionalism just because its the 'norm'.

Hence my stubbornness in refusing to let Andy purchase a diamond engagement ring... I refuse to have him spend loads of money on a diamond, just because its what's normally done... Especially since diamonds are not really my rock of choice. Before he left Nova Scotia to come back to England in September, 2002, he gave me a beautiful sapphire ring as a symbol of our love. With it he promised to come back to me - and that we would be together again, no matter how long it took. No, its not an engagement ring, however an engagement ring would not mean as much to me - the ring I wear has more significance to me than any diamond bought for the sake of propriety.





EASTER WEEKEND



We had a really nice Easter this year, especially since we had the children. We spent the days going on long walks and eating ice-cream, as the weather was absolutely wonderful. No, the sun did not shine continuously, however the air was a nice comfortable 16 degrees most of the time. At our hike through a place called Hubbards Hills the children even took off their shoes and splashed about in the stream. Below is a picture of Connor - he later fell over and became drenched!






No comments: