A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Time Out

This past week has been a trying one for both Alex and I. Teenagers are complex creatures and our fourteen year old is definitely one of them. There was a constant battle of wills going on in our house for a few days last week and I think I was fair in releasing a sigh of relief when the came for him to go to his mother's.

A friend of mine has been suffering depression of late, which has been exacerbated by the fact that her 12 year old daughter is very difficult to deal with, constantly mouthy, refusing to do anything, etc. etc. I can understand how my friend is spiralling into depression, especially since her husband offers little help in coping with the kids. I have 100% support from Andy, and I was still mentally exhausted on Friday evening after just 2/3 days of it.

Lets hope that this week is better for us, because I know Alex is a good kid, and although I enjoy the occasional whinge myself, being considered a nag by a 14 year old kid is a role I never envisaged for myself. I don't know if it was better or worse that I was spared all the hard work of babies and toddlers, but I've had loads of experience with wee children, and although they too can be trying at times, it still comes easier to me than older children. My mother's motto to the new moms who came into the creche with a penchant for complaining about how 'hard' it was is this 'You think you have it hard now? At least you know where they are and what they are doing at all times'. I'll add this tidbit of my own: 'Yes and at least they are still small enough to manhandle them into their rooms' But be it toddlers or teenagers, sometimes 'reason' isn't something you can factor in at all.

After all the tension last week, Friday night found me happily downing a few pints and glasses of red with the team from work. To say that my speech was yet again slurred upon arrival home is an understatement. But I was stress-free and happy so who the hell cares?

Although experiencing a slight headache yesterday, Andy and I enjoyed our child-free day and met up with friends last night for a Mexican feast. This morning Andy joined me at the gym where I signed up for a year-long membership. After working out for an hour we lunched at the Harvest Moon and are now enjoying a few quiet hours with Molls (who is enjoying her new bed) before our lovable teenager returns.



I came across this: Banana Bunker, on another blog, crabmommy, and although its a great idea, I just can't imagine packing it in a child's school lunch as its a little obscene. Or maybe thats just the view of us dirty minded folk

No comments: