A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When my lungs let me down...

I have been feeling rubbish for almost a week now.  I fought it really hard last week and continued to get dressed every day and go to work;  even this past weekend I didn't slow down, despite my my body telling me to (I normally give in to it and listen).  I proceeded to make the chocolate Guinness cupcakes (24 of them) on St Paddy's day, as well as a lemon butter cake and fudge.  The cupcakes were amazing, the lemon cake was a success (or so I'm told, I haven't eaten any of it) and the fudge was an epic fail, even though Andy won't let me throw it out.  I ended up giving most of my baking away, and only indulged in two cupcakes throughout the weekend.  Naughty I know, but since my appetite hasn't been the best (a true sign that I'm not feeling myself - I normally have a ridiculous appetite) I'm not experiencing any guilt.  Besides, those little monsters that I slathered with a cream cheese icing, were worth indulging in.

Anyway, I didn't take my inhalers the way I should have, from the moment I felt sick and today I have ended up staying home from work.  My head has pretty much cleared up and the sort throat is gone, but my chest is so tight it hurts to just breath and I get as winded as an 80 year old woman by just walking around or talking.  Seriously.  I hadn't coughed once today (as opposed to numerous times yesterday) until Andy rang and as soon as I started talking, I started coughing... it drives me nuts. However I know if I don't rest, I run the risk of getting much worse and that's the last thing I want. I want to get this sorted so I can get back to being my healthy self. 

Molly seems happy to have me home; it's sunny and warm so I've left the back door open for her to come in and out of at her leisure; she loves soaking up the sun.  She does however keep looking at me hopefully, which I know means 'are you ever going to take me for a walk?' so I will likely end up going for a slow jaunt up the path. Just because I'm not feeling top notch is no excuse to neglect my girl.   I'm also taking advantage of not being able to do much by catching up on emails and the blogs that I love to read.

This afternoon I will indulge in a few of the shows I have recorded and most likely have a nap.  Andy is away tonight so it will be a quiet day, just me and Molly. 

I have to admit I'm really looking forward to the time change this coming weekend.  I'm so ready for spring and all it brings with it, especially the longer nights.

My sister-in-law and are talking about running a 5k (or possibly a 10k) this spring/summer, however I'm a bit behind in training due to falling ill, etc., so realistically I'm going to aim for the 5k Race for Life this June.  (I don't think there will ever be a half marathon in my future, unlike my brilliant, determined sisters.  I'm just not a real 'runner').  As Andy is going to be working away for two weeks at a time after Easter, I will have lots of spare time to hit the pavement with Molly and start building up my endurance again.

2 comments:

Tawny said...

Oh but I would have loved to try one of your cupcakes!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, hope you're on the mend soon! The gym - and running -can wait till you're better. As for being a real runner, I'm not either. I think this might be my last year of running, I'm signed up for a 10km in may and then will try and do a half or full marathon in the fall but after that, I think my weakening knees will force me to retire my runners.

Fern Wimpley said...

I wish I had a Molly to run with!! :)
I'm not a real runner either, I'm a beginner runner :)