A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, March 25, 2004


Can a book help change the world?



A recent non-fiction book by Norma Khouri - Forbidden Love, published by Random House, highlights the issue of so-called honour killings. Since Norma's friend Dalia's death in 1995, the UN estimates more than 45.000 women in Jordan, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip have died as a result of honour killings. Norma says: "And that's a conservative estimate. Many of the deaths are not reported at all. Many are later classified as suicides or accidental deaths."

Other reports of honour killings are in Bangladesh, Britain, Brazil, Ecuador, Egypt, India, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Pakistan, Morocco, Sweden, Turkey, Uganda and it is believed they occur in Iraq and Iran.!

Norma Khouri is pleading for letters of protest which are sent on to the UN and to the Jordanian National Commission for Women. If you'd like to help, visit Honor Lost or email honourcrimes@lycos.com

I know I will be offering my support as I was horrified to tears when I read this book. I thought that honour killings were fading in this world - how wrong was I. Please offer your support by helping Norma and the women of these countries who are subjected to this disgraceful and terrible fate.

No comments: