A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 3: Favourite Musician

Questions about music are almost on par with favourite movies when it comes to the level of difficulty for answering. I know most people have at least one or two individual artists or bands that they are absolutely nuts about, without doubt. God forbid you ever say a word against these musical geniuses, rock legends or whatever you want to call them, because they are iconic God’s in many a person’s mind. Like Duran Duran used to be for me many years ago. And fair enough. However I don’t have one group that I’m passionate about above all others. I love many different artists for various reasons.

I’m going to break away for a moment to share with you something that annoys the hell out of me when it comes to the music world. Groups such as The Wanted, The Backstreet Boys or Girls Aloud are constantly referred to as Boy/Girl Bands and I don’t get it. You never see these ‘bands’ playing an instrument. Sure they sing, they might sometimes even toss out an interesting dance move or two, but I thought a ‘band’ pertained to musicians who actually play instruments, not just sing and dance… bands such as the Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi or Doughtry. I can only assume that they chose to use the word ‘band’ as Boy Band sounds more catchy than Boy Group.

I have always most admired musicians who can not only play an instrument and sing extremely well but whom also write their own music or lyrics. If you are on stage singing songs that other people wrote and dancing to choreography put together by someone else then you are just a singer/entertainer. Period. And I’m sorry, but some of these so called entertainers can’t even sing overly well… entertainers like Brittany Spears. How she could ever be compared to an actual singer like Christina A is beyond me (I only use this example as I know they have been compared in the past). Sorry if this upsets you and you decide not to come back, but so be it; if this is the case then you have terrible taste in music and it’s just as well that we part ways now ;)

Some of my all time favourite musicians are: Alanis Morrisette, Three Doors Down, Blue Rodeo, Fleetwood Mac, The Guess Who and Jimmy Rankin. More recently, Paolo Nutini and Mumford and Sons have caught my attention in a big way. I absolutely love their albums. Although he got his start from American Idol, I love Chris Doughtry. Jack Johnson, James Blunt, Ingrid Michaelson and yes, Tim McGraw and Brooks & Dunn (I am a country girl at heart after all) are always on my playlists. I’ve come to love a group introduced to me by my sisters, Vampire Weekend – they have a fantastic sound to run to at the gym. Hey Rosetta is quickly winning me over as well.

It should come as no surprise that Pink holds the position as runner up to my most favourite musician at the moment:

Adele.

I honestly don’t think I need to explain my reasons for this. Especially if you have listened to her new album (21), witnessed her performance on the Brit Awards or heard her in the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge. And I’m proud of the fact that I’ve loved this musician from her first release a few years back, not just since she has sky-rocketed into fame after performing Someone Like You at the Brit Awards. She is one talented lady with a huskily amazing voice to match.

Oh, and I don’t think anyone could No one could ever say my taste in music wasn’t eclectic.

No comments: