A Canadian gal living in Britain with 3 men and a dog. Wine helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day Four: Favourite Book

For any of you who know me well you know that I read.  A lot.  Both mom and dad are avid readers;  mom read to all of us children from the very beginning and because of this we are a family of readers. I've been reading novels since I was approximately eight years old.  I think I'd finished nearly every Nancy Drew book by the time I was ten and of course I loved the Beverly Cleary books based on Henry Higgins and Ramona.  Of course as I grew older I moved on to more racy authors like Judy Blume and VC Andrews. It's a rare day when I haven't read at least one chapter out of whatever book I might be reading.   I don't go anywhere without a book in my bag.  Ever.  As seems to be the pattern with this challenge, I don't have just one favourite book but because I have to pick one, I chose this one:


I first read this book because it was a course requirement in grade nine.  I thought it would be on par with every other boring book we used to have to endure at school however I was sorely mistaken.  I was engrossed from the first chapter and remember reading it even when I was over at my best friend's house, hanging out in her room while she was preoccupied with talking to some boy on the phone.  Yup.. I'm serious.  It affected me deeply way back when, and it still does, every time I read it.

Of course, I love just about anything by Ken Follett and a couple of my very favourite books are written by him:

 

Ken has an amazing way of imparting very important historical moments in a fictional story that captivates me throughout the whole book.  Better than any history lesson I've ever sat through.

Oh, and give me any Penny Vincenzi, especially 'The Best of Times'

Here are just a few other of my favourite books:  Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, The Bridges of Madison County, The Time Travellers Wife, Sunshine and The Book of Negroes.

I could go on forever, honestly. But I will spare you the tedium... and only because I'm considerite about these things. 

I don't think I will reach my 52 books in 52 weeks goal this year, but that doesn't mean I won't try. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that VC Andrews comment just made me laugh. I loved those books, but had to sneak them because my mom thought they were trash (which they were!). I've been toying with the idea of reading them as an adult...hahaha.

I love Time Traveler's Wife too!

Laraf123 said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite as well. The story, the characters and the simple, elegance of the prose. I'll never tire of reading it again and again. Did you read Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle? I read it during my daily commute several years ago. That week, I rode past my stop not once but twice because I couldn't bring myself to stop reading! Have you read Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli? He's a kids' author but this particular book is so very powerful.
Thanks for sharing--happy reading!

Jody said...

I did read Eye Of the Needle :). I think I've rea all of his books :). I will definitely check out ur recommendation :)

VC Andrews... They were so horrid but I couldn't put them down! It would be interesting for sure to read them as an adult.